Saturday 8 April 2017

Welsummer Egg Colours


I suppose one of the first things that drew me to keeping Welsummers was the fact that their eggs can be chocolate brown colour.

Welsummer eggs are also well known for their attractive speckles.

My oldest Welsummer Matilda, now just a week off her first birthday, regularly lays eggs of the classic brown colouration. Sometimes these have speckles, but often they don't. Her younger sister Sparkle, now 41 weeks old (having hatched on Brexit referendum day), lays tinted eggs with the slightest hint of brown. I can't remember Sparkle's eggs ever having speckles.

I guess the message I am trying to get across is that not every Welsummer lays chocolate brown eggs with pretty speckles on them.

I am very happy with my Welsummers. They are hardy, attractive and friendly birds. They are proving good layers too, with a egg nearly every day even through the winter months. My only complaint is that they have a very loud egg song, but I guess I've just been blessed with noisy individuals!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please submit your comment only once. We will endeavour to approve and publish comments on a regular basis.